By nature, people are creatures of habit. We habitually do the same things, at the same time, in the same way …. and in the same breadth we wish things would be different with our dreams coming true.
However, for anything to grow, and that includes ourselves, it means that things/we have to change. Think of a plant, a woman who’s pregnant, a teenager going through a ‘growth spurt’ or even learning a new skill like driving a car. Nothing stays the same forever, as we start with new skill, practise it over and over again, until we end up mastering it and we can do it unconsciously.
Some people fully embrace change seeing it as fun, adventure and a challenge to overcome. While others are less certain of their ability, skill level, environment and have a constant ‘battle with the voices in their head’ tellin them all sorts of stories keeping them in fear and not wanting to move forward.
I know I’ve been in both camps. Sometimes it’s been easy to get outside my comfort zone and other times it’s not, How about you?
“Whatever makes you uncomfortable is your biggest opportunity for growth.” Byrant McGill
One thing that’s helped me and others move from a ‘stuck place’ into a more ’empowering place’ is the questions I ask myself.
Here are some of my favourite ones, to get me moving into action, embracing change and growth.
- If it was easy what would I do now?
- What 10 things are good about XYZ?
- How does it get even better than this?
- How will I feel when I’ve done XYZ?
- What person will I become when I’ve mastered XYZ?
- What will I learn along the way?
- What am getting from staying ‘stuck’ – what is the payoff for this/
- What advice would my future Self give me right now?
And remember Mel Robbins – 5 Second Rule and MOVE.
Wish It … Dream it … Do It!