When you feel things, events, outcomes go ‘bad’ or not as expected, it’s very easy to fall into the trap of also ‘feeling’ bad, sad, mad ….or whatever your non-supporting default emotion is. However you ALWAYS have a choice as to how you feel, no matter what happens in your life.
You might find yourself in one of these situations …… you sleep in and now you’re late for work or an important meeting, your kids are screaming at you when you’re tired, at the supermarket checkout you find your bank card is declined, you don’t get your dream job, your car breaks down, your boyfriend/partner wants to end the relationship ….. and so on.
Events will always happen in our lives, however it’s the meaning we choose to put on them that will either ‘make us or break us’. Put simply no matter what happens in our lives we are ALWAYS in the driving seat of what we think and feel.
So before your mind goes on automatic pilot in a downward spiral of unsupportive thoughts and emotions, do the following :-
- Take a deep breath
- Become aware of your thoughts
- How do you feel when you think those thoughts ……just become aware of these feelings
- Ask yourself what is ‘REAL’ in this situation – i.e. what are the facts
- Take the emotion out of it
- Knowing the true facts of the situation, what do you now choose to think and feel about it that will support you in the short and long term
- Take another deep breath and let it go
This takes practice on a daily basis to ‘turn around’ the meaning, thoughts and feelings you have when you feel ‘triggered’ by an event. However by doing this we will remain aligned, balanced, stay in the ‘present’ moment more, rather than living out past ‘stories/dramas’ and feeling those unsupportive thoughts and emotions bubble up to the surface.
Some universal beliefs that I live by, that you might choose to adopt too, are :-
- I’m always looked after
- Everything always works out in the most perfect way, even though I might not be able to see it right now
- I’m never given anything in life that I can’t handle
- I always grow from my challenges
- This to will pass
Let me know how you go.
Wish It … Dream It … Do It!